Currie and District Local History Society
2016 Summer Outing
Local History Guide
History Guide Map
Other Local History Sites
Herriot Watt Catalogue CDLHS Photos
War Dead Honours
Schools in Currie Parish
A Selection of Historical Local Images
Peter Maxwell Stewart, sometime of Juniper Green and Eden Cottage, Currie in uniform of the 9th Battalion, Royal Scots, killed 9th April 1917 and remembered at the Arras War Memorial.
Kinleith Mill Finishing House, 1920s.
Kinleith Mill engineer in boiler room.
Kinleith Mill Staff, 1880s.
Miss Annie Gibson-Craig at Riccarton with her dogs, 1900.
East Bank Mill. 1900. The owner had originally owned a circus and his white ponies and dogs were known as the "happy Family".
Bella Steel, Ladycroft, Balerno with Malleny House in the background, 1920s.
Currie Village, 1902.
East Currie Cottages, c1900.
Hermiston Smiddy, c1900.
Watt's Snuff Mill, Juniper Green, 1930s.
Spylaw Snuff Mill engraving, 1820s.
East Mill Grain Mill, Juniper Green, c1900.
Burnside Cottages, 1900.
Currie Brig, 1900.
Ravelrig Quarrymen, 1923-25. Front rightof photo is William Samuel, on his left is his son, Thomas Samuel. Thomas won the Scottish Pairs Bowling Championship with Jackie Forrest in 1938. Harry Rankin, another bowler, is 6 along from left in the middle row.
Malleny Ranges, 1919.
Train at Currie Railway Station, c1910.
Currie Bowling Club opening match against Juniper Green Bowling Club. Bowlers in action: T Ritchie(JG); Wattie Young(C); Rigby(JG); S. Muirhead; Jack Hughes; A.N. Other; Sir Oliver Riddell. Spectators: Wattie Rankin; Dod Falconer; Harry Rankine; Jack Forrest, 1920s.
Curriemuirend, Juniper Green.
Colinton and Currie Pipe Band. 15 members of band in uniform with instruments plus secretary and Colinton House. Back Row: T. Crabbe; D. Michie; A. Hamilton; J. Corse; W. Allison; J. Todd; J. Ferguson (Secretary). Front Row: A. Thomson; J. Neill; W. Haston; W. Currie; R. Tweedie; Collins; Rae; J Neill, 1925.
Malleny House Staff, c1900.
Boys at Ravelrig Crossing, 1930s.
Hunt at Marchbank House, 1930s.
Miss Huffel, who lived in "The Bield" and ran a sewing club. When Juniper Green became part of Edinburgh she made sure the Village Hall was maintained for the residents, c1900.
Curriehill Railway Station. Robert Brown, Station Master, second from the left, 1918.
Currie Girl Guides, 1920s.
Currie Women's Guild, 1920s.
Balerno Post Office, c1900.
East Mill Snuff Mill, Juniper Green, c1910.
Juniper Green School, c1900.
Kinleith Mill Cricket Club, 1920s.